Y Route Is Out, SV Is In

Don’t panic if you hold a Y Certificate of Competence (CoC) - it is still valid. New Y certificates are no longer being issued, but here is everything you need to know about the SV Route and how to convert your Y tickets.

The Y engineering qualifications have come to an end and are no longer issued

The Small Vessel Engineering Route was brought in to replace the Yacht Engineer Qualifications and create a broader qualification system for Small Vessels.
This was to enable engineers to cross between Yachts, Tugs, Fishing Vessels, Workboats, Standby, Seismic Survey, Oceanographic Research Vessels and Government Patrol Vessels, opening up more opportunities for seafarers.

However, there is a yacht-restricted route for those unable to attain the required sea time for an unrestricted qualification.

For those holding a Y CoC

There was a transitional period for the last few years that has now come to an end.

Anyone holding a Y CoC who wishes to revalidate can continue to do so but new Y certificates will not be issued. 
Those with Y qualifications who wish to progress can convert to the SV route.

Details of the SV qualifications, conversions and yacht-restricted route are outlined in MIN 642 and MSN 1904 (links below).

For those of you working towards your first Yacht Engineering Qualification, you should be looking at registering on the Small Vessel EOOW Programme as soon as you qualify, so as not to miss out on yacht service or sea time.

Unrestricted vs Restricted Route

Yacht Restricted Route:
A minimum of 24 months employed on a vessel with engines greater than 200kw. 6 months must be actually underway for the yacht restricted route. 

Unrestricted Route:
For the unrestricted route, all 24 months should be at sea. If working on yachts, of the 24 months employed, 16 months must be underway.


Registering on the SV Route

Contact the Bluewater Training Team for full details on the registration process and requirements.