Cannes is one of the best-known cities of the French Riviera, a busy tourist destination and host to many shows and festivals. The city is also famous for its various luxury stores, fancy restaurants, and prestigious hotels, such as the Carlton, Martinez and Majestic.
There are many things to do in Cannes, first and foremost is to stroll down the Croisette, the world famous street, which runs along the shoreline of Cannes, which is full of upscale shopping opportunities.
For a relaxing day out visit Iles de Lerin, which consists of two islands, Ste-Marguerite and St-Honorat, just a 15 minute boat ride away. The islands have many walking paths, are covered by eucalyptus and pine forests and are home to Fort Royal.
There is also the Palais de festival, home to many festivals and shows including the infamous Cannes Film Festival, held annually in May. Other Festivals include:
- Midem, the foremost trade show for the music industry
- Mipim, a large property-related trade show
- Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival
- Carnival on the Riviera is an annual parade through the streets to mark the 21-day period prior to Shrove Tuesday.
- Festival de la Plaisance is an event for boating enthusiasts in the Vieux Port (September).
- The International Actors' Performance Festival: comedy sketches and performances by fringe artists
- The International Luxury Travel Market brings the top luxury travel providers and suppliers from all around the world
- Le Festival d'Art Pyrotechnique is a magnificent annual fireworks competition held in the summer at the Bay of Cannes
- Mipcom and MIPTV, held in October and April, the world's most important trade markets for the television industry
- The Pan-African Film Festival, held in early April and featuring films from the African diaspora